Movie review: The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies

by Camille Principe, reporter

Peter Jackson’s newest installment in The Hobbit series is the perfect way to end this trilogy. This trilogy is based on the books written by J. R. R. Tolkien. Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who lived in The Shire. He was asked by Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellan) and some Dwarves to help them reclaim their lost kingdom of Erebor in the Lonely Mountain. Their kingdom had been taken away from them by the dragon, Smaug (Benedict Cumberbatch), who hoarded all of their riches and drove them out of their kingdom.

Throughout the series, Bilbo Baggins helps the dwarves get back to the kingdom. They wanted to return so they could reclaim their riches. When they returned, Smaug attacked, but then he left to destroy Laketown, a community inhabited by Men. He was defeated by Bard the Bowman (Luke Evans) of Laketown, who shot an arrow into Smaug’s only weak spot. The Men of Laketown and the Elves of Mirkwood had claimed a part of the Dwarves’ treasure, but Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitrage), the heir to the throne of Erebor, refused to give it to them.

The Men of Laketown and the Elves of Mirkwood prepared armies in order to fight the Dwarves for their claim of the treasure. Thorin’s cousin, Dàin II Ironfoot, brought an army to aid the Dwarves in battle. They were prepared to fight each other, but then Orcs attacked. The Dwarves, Elves, and Men joined together with the Eagles against the Orcs, to gave the title The Battle of the Five Armies.

This movie is filled with humor, action, sadness, and drama, and it will grip you until the credits roll onto the screen. It is a great movie, and it teaches important lessons of friendship and family. I would rate this movie a nine out of ten. It was a great movie all around, but it strayed from the plot of the stories in certain parts. Overall, I think this film is a great way to end The Hobbit series, and I would recommend seeing not only this film but also the other two films in the trilogy.

About the Author

cprincipe
My name is Camille Principe. I am a sophomore and I am on the soccer and track and field teams. I am involved in history club, pep club, and student council.

Be the first to comment on "Movie review: The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies"