Peer pressure: is it such a bad thing?

by Carol Keefer, Reporter

Peer pressure is, most times, seen as a negative thing, but do the positives of peer pressure outweigh the negatives?

“While peer pressure is seen as a negative thing in most situations, it has also led to me doing some amazing things in my life,” says Nicole Huddleston, freshman Junior Varsity cheerleader. “Before I decided to tryout for the cheer squad, it took a lot of convincing from my family and friends. I had always loved cheering and I really wanted to try it out again and do what I loved, but I was too afraid to. Luckily, my friends and family showed me all of the positives that would come out of trying out. Without their constant pressure and pleas, I probably would not have even put my name on the sign up sheet.”

Peer pressure can also be used to motivate a student or any person in today’s society to make the right decision and help others.

Peer pressure can be a positive when it comes to leadership and motivating another person to make better choices,” says Mr. Walkowiak, American History teacher at JTHS. “Consequently, peer pressure can work just the opposite and students can falter due to wanting to be part of the crowd or a follower,” continued Mr. Walkowiak.

And he’s right– peer pressure can lead to some very poor choices by students.

“Back in middle school, a few friends of mine tried to get me to drink alcohol and smoke. They pressured me to no end and said that it wasn’t ‘that bad’ and that ‘a little bit wasn’t going to hurt me.’ Luckily, I knew better than to cave into the pressure and I haven’t tried either of those things to this day,” said Nicole Huddleston, freshman.

So, dear reader, it is up to you to decide – do you believe that peer pressure is an evil that negatively impacts a person’s life? Or do you see it as a chaotic good that, while sometimes crazy, benefits a person’s life in the long run?

About the Author

Carol Keefer
Carol Keefer, 16, lives in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, and is a junior at Jim Thorpe Area Senior High School. She enjoys writing, singing, skiing and running. If she’s not at school, you can find her at Big Boulder Park during the winter season. She is involved in The Flame, The Olympiad, History Club, concert band, Envirothon, and cheerleading. Carol plans on attending Temple University in the future and majoring in primary education as an English teacher.

Be the first to comment on "Peer pressure: is it such a bad thing?"