Prom preparations: the works

It is that time of the year again: a time for romance and expensive dresses. That is right, it is prom season! The clothes, the shoes, the hair, the makeup… How do the prom-goers cope?

“Preparing for prom has been extremely stressful,” Daisy McCarty, a junior at the Jim Thorpe High School says. “It was extremely stressful to get the money in order, which included our class dues and get them all organized and to our class representative before the deadline. Dress shopping was also very stressful, maybe even more so, since you want everything to be perfect with the entire night, including the dress. Once you get all the money and paperwork done, it really takes away some of the stress. Now everything that’s left for me personally to do is sort out a dress and such.”

It seems like the stress does seem to deplete greatly toward the end of the tasks students need to complete. But, how do the boys feel?

“As a junior there have been no real good ways to save while prepping, as there have been barely any fundraising opportunities and next year we will have very little,” William Summers, another junior at the Jim Thorpe High School says. “We can save a little money on photos by taking them outside of prom, but otherwise prom is emptying my wallet fast. As for clothes and other things, being a guy means I have a fairly simple list: a tux and dress shoes. Along with that, I need to have accessories that match the dress of my date adding another layer of complexity to the planning. Rides have been arranged,and where photos will be taken have been arranged, but not much else at the moment. The girls definitely have it harder, and I definitely don’t envy them. What definitely didn’t assist the juniors, since most of us are attending our first prom this year, is the lack of information they provide us with on the weeks leading up to prom. Sure, a few flyers hung up telling us the venue and price of prom was a little helpful, but I wish they told us our class representatives earlier and showed us the process for prom itself. “

It looks like guys and girls both have their fair share of struggles and stressors when it comes to preparing for prom. Luckily for them, everything seems to turn out right in the end, making for a great night and all around great time.

Be the first to comment on "Prom preparations: the works"