Breaking new records

Two Jim Thorpe Olympians, Alex McGinley and Kelsey Carroll, set two new records for the girls’ volleyball team this season. The two volleyball players have been trying to reach this goal since they both have been freshmen.

“Knowing I accomplished this and have the school record for 1,000 digs, was a huge accomplishment considering this is what I wanted to do since my freshman year. I felt like I was recognized in a positive way and it was very rewarding,” said senior, Alex McGinley.

Alex has been playing volleyball since she was in fourth grade. She has always had the love and passion for the sport. Throughout the years, she has put much dedication and effort to make herself better. She has played volleyball for a CYO team, AAU team in the winter to continue her skills and, of course, the high school volleyball team. Alex has been playing on the varsity team since she was a freshman. She started getting her 1,000 digs as soon as she stepped onto the court when it was her very first varsity game, starting as a freshman. But, Alex was not the only player to get such an accomplishing award this season.

Junior, Kelsey Carrol has completed 1,000 assists this season. “I feel very proud and accomplished after completing this goal I’ve been going after since I was a freshman.”

Kelsey has been the varsity setter since she was a freshman as well. Kelsey goes on to say, “I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement, it was a very happy feeling when I hit 1,000.”

The night Kelsey had accomplished this goal was on one of the biggest games of the season, a big rival this year, Panther Valley. Many students and fans, and as well as PV’s whole student section were there to witness Kelsey’s accomplishment. Everyone was ecstatic for her, including the Panthers.

Both the girls would like to give thanks for their accomplishments, for they could not get where they were without the help of these people.

“A special thanks to my teammates, especially my hitters, for making 1,000 possible,” says Kelsey Carrol. Kelsey knows she would be able to accomplish this without her teammates support and insight throughout all the years and she could not be more grateful for them.

Alex McGinley says, “I’d like to thank my team and coaches for supporting me and pushing me to do my best throughout the years, and also my parents and sister for always being there and having extra practice sessions with me.” Alex realizes that her friends and family have been the ones to push her through her all her good times and even some of the bad ones as well.

Throughout all sports at the Jim Thorpe High School, many records have been broken, and many still continue to break. Athletes have learned to push through all their limits and shine through. With all the hard work and determination, anything is possible, this is easily shown by these two Lady Olympians, Kelsey Carroll and Alex McGinley.

Be the first to comment on "Breaking new records"