Track and Field at Jim Thorpe

Track and Field at Jim Thorpe

by Brianna Barberio, Reporter

Every year at Jim Thorpe Area High School, there is a track and field program. Track and field started on March 3rd and Jim Thorpe’s first track meet was on Wednesday March 28, 2018. They went against Minersville. Jim Thorpe’s track and field score was boys: 136-13 and girls: 103-46.

“This is my twelfth year as the head coach and fifteenth season overall involved in the Jim Thorpe Track and Field Program,” said Mr. Miller, head coach.

There has been eighteen seasons of the Jim Thorpe Track and Field Program. There are boys and girls on the track and field team. Some track events are sprint, hurdle, distance, jumps, and throwing events.

Sheliya Davis, a freshman on the track and field team said, “Track makes me feel free, like I’m flying. The entire experience is fun, and it’s a good source of exercise.”

Track is a good exercise and helps athletes stay fit. In track, people have to do a lot of work, like running, jumping, etc. But track and field is fun and helps some people clear their minds.

“I do track to stay away from drugs, and it relieves all of the stress built up in me,” said Angela Sinsabaugh, a freshman who participates in sprinting events.

Lots of people like to run track because they like to run, sprint, jump or to just clear their minds and let everything out. There are a lot more reasons why people like to run. Running is fun, a great exercise, helps you clear your mind, helps you stay out of trouble, and more.

“I want to do track because I always had passion for running,” said Justin Ellis, a freshman who competes in hurdles and sprints.

Be the first to comment on "Track and Field at Jim Thorpe"