The adventures of being divergent

Divergent, a science fiction novel, is written by Veronica Roth. The novel was published April 26, 2011, and it takes place in a futuristic time.

“My favorite character in the book is Beatrice Prior. I also really enjoyed Tobias Eaton. He is renowned as Four in the book and belongs to the Dauntless faction. It is hard to choose which one I enjoy more because I found both their character development interesting throughout the book,” said Sharon Buell, a sophomore.

Beatrice Prior, also known as Trice is the main character in the book. She is a strong independent female lead, who has a secret. Four is the strong, protective, and mysterious male lead. Through the book they develop a love for each other.

“I believe Divergent falls into the Sci-Fi genre. As you read the book you can pick up on small details that insinuate that the book is taking place in the future. The advances in technology, peculiar concepts, and form of government all contribute to my assumption,” said Buell.

In the series, they have a completely different government set up, than there is today. The people are split up into groups called factions. There is Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the kind), Erudite (the intelligent), Abnegation (the selfless), and Candor (the honest).

“The character I liked the least was Beatrice’s brother Caleb Prior. Truthfully, I found him very aggravating throughout the whole book and towards Beatrice. Because he belonged to Erudite, it seemed that he viewed himself above other factions. I have read multiple books in the series and it seems that does not want to get his hands dirty for anything even though everyone else is sacrificing their lives. He also judged the other factions for not following the same morality as his. Erudite is known for their intelligence. The members in this faction grew power hungry and, in my opinion, they used the members in Dauntless solely for their abilities. There were multiple times where he spoke poorly on Abnegation despite that being his initial faction. Lastly, he also betrayed Beatrice numerous times. This is irritating because even after doing so, Beatrice still cares for him because that’s her brother,” said Buell.

The book adds elements of conflict between the characters to make the reader more interested in the book, and to feel like they have a connection to the characters.

“The book ended with a cliffhanger, which was slightly bothersome but I feel that it added the element of suspense. I think when Beatrice’s parents sacrificed themselves for her it shaped her character even further. Over all, I enjoyed the book and its ending, but I just personally do not like cliffhangers,” said Buell.

All throughout the book there is a feeling of suspense, which most definitely keeps the reader on the edge of his/her seat.

“I believe that the book was very well written along with containing enough detail. The author stressed setting and identified characters which helped to understand the concept,” said Buell.

About the Author

alanawolfinger
Alana Wolfinger, 15, Lives in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, and is a Freshman at Jim Thorpe Area High School. She is on the girls high school soccer team, and enjoys playing. She wants to go to college in New York, and eventually become a writer.

Be the first to comment on "The adventures of being divergent"