Procrastination in students

Procrastination in students

by Daphne Camacho, reporter

Students often procrastinate in school and at home; it can happen anytime. There seems to be many reasons for procrastination including just not wanting to do a certain task, so students continue to put off the task.

Procrastination seems like a task some students do, even if there are valid reasons behind it.

“Yes, I usually procrastinate because I either have soccer, the gym, or I’m busy doing chores around the house,” Kelli Hogarty, a freshman said.

Yet for some students their act of procrastination depends on the task they need to do.

“I do procrastinate on occasion, most of the time, however, I do not. It really just depends on the task on-hand,” Connor Rodgers, a sophomore stated.

The task of procrastinating seems like a negative task overall, but can it be positive?

“I don’t typically look at procrastination as a good thing. This is because everything being put off will come back and seem like it is a bigger deal than it is. This seems to happen because you are under stress from everything else that was put off,” Alexandra Ramey, a freshman said.

Students do procrastinate on assignments on probably more than they should.

“I believe students procrastinate more than they should on assignments, especially bigger assignments. I think procrastination occurs in many students for various reasons like subject material, the task that is being asked of them, their interest level in school, their grades etc…” Mr. Walkowiak, a freshman history teacher, said.

Is work that was procrastinated on really as good as it could have been? That is the question. Does delayed work ethic get you the same grade or outcome as work done ahead of time?

“I believe work that is turned in at the last minute due to procrastination  is often rushed or not as thorough as some students assignments who either worked ahead or worked at a good pace of the task at hand,” Mr. Walkowiak shared.

Some students should not procrastinate but even though they do, somehow they still manage to get tasks done.

About the Author

daphnecamacho
Daphne Camacho, lives in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, and is a student at Jim Thorpe Area High School. She is part of FBLA, SADD, The Olympiad, and Mock Trial. She is a dedicated activist and feminist and one day hopes to be a business women and lawyer

Be the first to comment on "Procrastination in students"