Cheerleading competition

This year, the Jim Thorpe Cheerleading squad went to a competition at Delaware University. It has been a few years since the team has went and they excelled. They won first place with a routine choreographed by coach, Gavrielle Mele and her assistant coaches.

“Competition was always something Jim Thorpe did while I was in high school, and it has been something we talked about getting back into for awhile. We had a team of great stunters this year and excellent spirit projection so we thought ‘Why not?’,” said Mele.

“Getting first place and a chance to bond with my team at competition was a really good way to finish off my senior season,” said Christine McLaughlin, senior co-captain.

Competition meant a great deal for the squad. At arrival to the competition, the girl’s nerves set in quickly.

“We were all shaking and our hearts were racing with nerves, but deep down we knew we were going to nail it and our hard work would pay off,” said McLaughlin.

The coaches nerves were just as dicey, but their faith in the team never altered.

“In the moments leading up to the team’s performance, I became progressively more nervous. It was a new experience for me not to be on the mat and to be the one watching. I was actually more nervous watching how nervous everyone else had gotten, and less nervous on how they would actually perform. I knew they were going to do great!”, said Mele.

After winning the competition, the Jim Thorpe Cheer Squad was enthusiastic. All the hard hours in the gym and the conditioning for the competition had paid off for them.

“After winning, the squad feels even closer as a team, and I especially am extremely proud of everyone and their efforts,” said McLaughlin.

In conclusion, Jim Thorpe cheer is now considered a sport once again in the program because of their competition status. As the years go on, the coaches are planning to continue going to competitions, and the graduating seniors are looking forward to see how the squad progresses. Congratulations Jim Thorpe Cheerleading Squad of 2018-2019!

About the Author

Riley Gillespie
Riley Gillespie, 17, lives in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, and is a senior at Jim Thorpe Area High School. She is part of the Olympiad and is a two time captain for the Jim Thorpe cheerleading team. She is currently a varsity co-captain. Riley is going to be attending Lehigh Carbon Community College and then continue her education at ESU, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. She plans to help children in need and work in the psychology field.

Be the first to comment on "Cheerleading competition"