Annual Christmas basketball tournament

by Shane Snisky, reporter

On December 26 and 27, 2014, the annual Christmas tournament at Northern Lehigh High School took place at Northern Lehigh High School. It was a two-day event that had games for JV and Varsity basketball. The teams that participated in the tournament were Jim Thorpe, Palmerton, Northern Lehigh, and Lehighton.

“The Christmas tournament is a tradition that has been going on for awhile now and I really enjoy playing in it,” said Jordan McEmoyle, a junior.

The first game was between Lehighton and Palmerton and the next game was Jim Thorpe and Palmerton.  Lehighton and Jim Thorpe both won their first games pretty comfortably against Palmerton and Northern Lehigh opponents.

Brendan Carroll said, “I thought we played a great first game and I thought that our game with Lehighton would be a battle.”

The championship game was the 27, the last day of the tournament, between Jim Thorpe and Lehighton. The first time the schools met, Lehighton took the game from the beginning and played with a nice lead the entire game. The result of the championship was similar. After a close first quarter, Lehighton’s Jordan Knappenberger took over, making shot after shot, taking a huge lead. Jim Thorpe finished second, while  Lehighton finished first.

“Although we didn’t place first, we still finished second, and we played good basketball, so I am happy with my team and our performance,” stated Brett Luicana, a senior.

Be the first to comment on "Annual Christmas basketball tournament"