Winner’s Circle

by Diane Feller, reporter

She is motivated on and off of the track. She broke school records while doing what she loves. Senior, Devon Matz has accomplished a lot in her past three years and plans on accomplishing more for her last season as a Jim Thorpe Track and Field athlete.

Devon started track her freshman year, and this will be her fourth and final year participating in the sport she loves. Just last season, her junior year, Devon beat two school records, which were the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 16.03 seconds and the 300 meter hurdles with a time of 47.41 seconds.

“To stay motivated during a race, I think of making Coach Miller proud, knowing he prepared me. Also, I have a lot of respect for him. When I’m down about an event, he pushes me knowing I can do better. I thank him for being my biggest support system,” stated Devon.

When Devon was asked who pushes her the most during an event or even just practicing, she said, “I’d say myself. I work hard not to beat others, but to beat my own times and to do my best.”

Devon is going to continue her track career in college at Salisbury University, but she says she will miss Coach Miller and the bond that the team has.

Devon also has some words of advice to leave behind for the underclassmen who are track athletes. She says, “The only person who can motivate you is yourself. No one can make you want it, so push yourself, work hard, and success can be achieved.”

She also plans to become a coach one day herself while never leaving her track days behind. Devon is an amazing teammate and an all around great girl to look up to in everyday life. FullSizeRender

About the Author

dfeller
My name is Diane Feller. I'm a junior. I'm in track and field and I'm involved in History Club, Pep Club, and Journalism.

Be the first to comment on "Winner’s Circle"