The undecided party

Many of the students at Jim Thorpe Area High School cannot decide on a presidential candidate for the upcoming elections.

When approached with the question, “Who do you want to win the election?”, many of the students replied with, “I don’t know. Nobody really stands out to me.” This was the response of over fifteen randomly selected students.

The election has left some students feeling very unsure of the candidates and their ideas.

One anonymous student said, “I just don’t feel like any of them are outstanding. Yeah, some of them have some good points, but I just don’t think that anyone in particular is doing better than the rest.”

Well, why aren’t they outstanding? What do the students of Jim Thorpe Area High School feel is important in a president?

I think a president has to be good under pressure and remain level-headed during times of crisis,” Senior, Joseph Montesrin, commented.

Other students took a different outlook on the presidency.

Junior, Walker Midkiff, commented, “Someone who is a people person and can make choices based on what is necessary rather than based on what is wanted.”

Many of the candidates meet these expectations. The candidates aren’t hard to chose between purely because they are all poor choices. They all have their ups and downs.

“I like that some of the candidates are focusing on women equality. I really think we, as a nation, shouldn’t let gender define our salary or any other aspect of life for that matter,” an anonymous senior professed.

Another appreciative student had pleasant comments to add.

An anonymous junior had this to say, “I like the idea of making college more affordable especially because we’ll be heading there while one of these candidates is in office. I don’t think we’ll be able to make college free, but even if it was just more affordable, it would be nice.”

On the other hand, some of the students don’t like several things about the candidates.

“I don’t like how much some of the candidates are trying to close borders, and some of the candidate’s comments are very opinionated against different races,” an anonymous junior spoke out.

Are these candidates really working on the problems everyone cares about, though?

Montesrin had this to say, “I think the president should be working on the economy, immigration, health care, the environment, and foreign policy. I think the candidates are working on problems that will affect all of us in some way, either directly or indirectly, even if they aren’t the ones we thought we needed to work on.”

Some students were much more direct in their concerns.

Midkiff stated, “I think that getting people jobs should be one of the president’s bigger concerns.”

So who will actually win? The students were asked their opinion on who they think will win.

One senior said, “I don’t know, but I’m sure Trump will make it to the primaries.”

As of now, I’d say that it’s split between Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. This is due to how Bernie seemingly has ideas that appeal to the “average Joe,” and Trump appeals to upper class,” says Midkiff.

Pooled thoughts lead to the conclusion that Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump will likely be the two primary candidates.

Be the first to comment on "The undecided party"