Spring on the horizon

With spring around the corner, Jim Thorpe Area High School is alive with spring fever. Whether it is spring cleaning or packing up the snowboards, everyone is getting ready to leave winter in the dust.

“I’m never sad to say ‘goodbye’ to winter,” says Mrs. Shelly Moyer in response to the upcoming season.

In fact, Juniors Cassandra Repecki and Carolyn Faria both agree that there will be no hard feelings when winter has ended. They are, however, looking forward to the fresh air of spring.

“I’m looking forward to hiking in the woods by my house again,” Repecki inputted.

Mrs. Moyer wasn’t looking into the woods this season. She’s more of a beach person.

“I’m looking forward to going anywhere there’s sand and water.”

With so much to look forward to in the coming months, what are some of the resident Olympians’ favorite things about spring out of all else?

“It stops looking ugly out,” Faria says, “All the snow melts away, and the animals come out again.”

“Jelly beans,” Repecki adds excitedly, “My favorite jelly beans are only sold around Easter, and I wait all year for them to come back around.”

Mrs. Moyer reports, “My favorite thing about spring is the longer days.”

The Olympians here at the high school are definitely excited about the upcoming season, but what aren’t they looking forward to this spring?

“I hate when the deer start eating all the spring flowers,” Repecki experesses. “That, as well as the bears come out of hibernation again.”

The beautiful flowers Repecki appreciates fondly are a contributing cause of Faria’s least favorite spring time habits.

“I don’t like the rain all the time, and allergies start to get bad this time of year,” says

Faria as she looks back at her previous spring memories.

On another note, Mrs. Moyer tells, “My least favorite thing is the increase in bugs/bees.”

Spring comes, and celebrations follow. There are several holidays this time of year. Some more popular than others. Whether the Olympians are looking forward to Earth day and Easter or Lost Sock Memorial Day on May ninth, there is reason to celebrate all springtime long.

“I’m looking forward to Saint Patrick’s day and Earth day,” Faria tells openly.

Mrs. Moyer reports, “I’m looking forward to spring break.”

The students and teachers alike are looking forward to the time off.

Repecki agrees, “I’m really looking forward to Easter break with my family.”

With spring on the rise, students are taking to the halls of Jim Thorpe Area High School with new found spring fever. All the anticipation for spring holidays and the upcoming finality that is the end of the year is adding to this excitement. The newfound excitement in the students does not go unnoticed. The changes are visible through their slipping studies.

“I’ve noticed, over the years, that students sometimes get a bit lazier with their schoolwork in the spring (missing assignments, not preparing for tests),” says Mrs. Moyer when asked about how spring affects her students.

While the new season is definitely a cause for celebration, students cannot forget that there are still several months of school left. They cannot let the excitement go to their heads just yet.

Be the first to comment on "Spring on the horizon"