Self help in high school

Being a high school student involves balancing many obstacles that can have an effect on your performance as a student. As a student body, we can show our peers that they aren’t alone, and how to remain positive during tough times throughout the school year with some advice and self-encouraging tips.

Junior Hailey Bowman says, “I have felt my schoolwork has been affected by a non-school related problem. I noticed that when my parents had gone through a divorce, that my grades weren’t as great, or when people in relationships have breakups their mind is focused on that, they can’t focus, and their grades end up suffering.”

Physical education teacher Mrs. Nelson says, “As I’ve gotten older, I have learned to not let outside problems affect my schoolwork. If you looked at me, you wouldn’t even know I was having a bad day if I didn’t tell you.”

Everyone deals with their problems in different ways, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to handle them. Feeling isolated and alone is common.

“Everyone has probably felt isolated in certain settings. There’s always cliques in high school and everyone normally has their own but sometimes people get left out or excluded. I’ve even had it happen with like the “popular” people or the “athletic” people,” Bowman says.

Nelson states, “In high school I was hated. I was talked about, and bullied. I battled rumors and self-esteem issues. There were cliques and I had no specific group, I wouldn’t go out of my way to speak to anyone.”

This could all come back to self-image, and everyone surrounding you. Finding a great circle of friends that are enjoyable, and reliable can ultimately have a positive effect on how a person is as an individual.

Hailey states, “The qualities I look for in a good friend are someone who is a good listener, I can talk and open up to without feeling uncomfortable, someone that supports me and pushes me to be better, someone that I can always count on, who is there through thick and thin.”

“One of the ways my friends influence me is by their support. A lot of my friends will talk to me about my issues or problems I’m having and they’ll give me support and advice and it just makes me feel a lot better and like I actually have someone there for me. Another way they influence me is to try new things. My friends will take me out to new food places or we’ll go on a trip or on a hike and it’s just nice to get involved in new activities,” Bowman said.

Mrs. Nelson says, “The qualities I look for in a good friend are someone who is funny, trustworthy, and very honest. Family is very important too. My parents have always pushed me to be the best that I can be. When I’m sad or upset, my children make me happy.”

Having a positive attitude is pertinent to bettering yourself as a student, and as a person in general. Bad days are inevitable, but how a person handles his or her bad days is what shows character.

Hailey answers, “If I am having a bad day, I try to stay positive by talking with my friends. They always know if something is bothering me and just talking and laughing with them cheers me up. If that doesn’t help, I like to just listen to music and relax and not think for a bit.”

Mrs. Nelson answers, “Life gets crazy for everyone at some point. When times get tough, surround yourself around good people. An idle mind is the devil’s playground. Keep busy, explore different things.”

“If a good friend is dealing with an issue, always listen. Try and do something funny and whacky to lighten the mood, let them vent. If asked, give your opinion, but don’t bash the issue,” Nelson adds.

Be the first to comment on "Self help in high school"