Les Anise de Flavigny

Les Anis de Flavigny review
by Alexis Hill, Reporter

Have you ever wondered what a flower tastes like? Well, les Anis de Flavigny makes that thought a reality! Les Anis de Flavigny makes mints in various flavors, but their most popular are the Rose and Violet flavored mints. The company states that, “Louis XIV liked to be able to suck on ‘anise’ candies that he kept in a pocket candy box. Madame de Sévigné (1626-1696), Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764) and the Comtesse de Ségur (1799-1874) also adored Anis de l’Abbaye de Flavigny ® and gave them to their friends.” The recipe and company is renowned for their delicious mints. The recipe and company both date back to as early as 1591 and are still being made and enjoyed today.

Well, what exactly do they taste like? I went and found four kids to test these unusual candies and share their opinions on them. The first person I asked to try one of these mints was Jeremy VanAuken, a junior at Jim Thorpe High School. I gave him a violet mint to taste test.

Jeremy Van Auken said,“Yea, it’s really good. I want to get a tin of my own. The flower taste is surprisingly good.”

Next, I asked David Bowen, a Senior at Jim Thorpe High school, to try a rose flavored mint.

“First, I taste a flowery, taste. After about three minutes, it tastes a slight bit like chocolate. After that, I taste pure sugar until I bite into it. The center tastes like black licorice and it is a seed. Overall it was a good experience,” Bowen stated.

I also asked Caitlyn McDermott, another senior at Jim Thorpe High School to try a rose flavored mint.

“It tastes good for like the first five seconds and then it tastes like a flower.”
It seems from these opinions that all of the students I had try one enjoyed them, although there were some harsh critics as well.

Stephanie Dykas, a junior at Jim Thorpe High School, reported,“I hate them. They both taste like straight up perfume.”

Personally, I think they are delicious, but I guess it depends all on the person. Out of four people I interviewed, three of them enjoyed the mints. Will you be brave enough to try one?

Be the first to comment on "Les Anise de Flavigny"