Jim Thorpe lunches, rules, and policies: Agree or disagree?

Mixed feelings and opinions spread throughout the halls of Jim Thorpe High School about various topics pertaining to student life on campus. School lunches, the student dress code, phone and gum policies; these topics seem to spark the individual viewpoints of high school students.

Senior, Shane Meckes says, “Some lunches aren’t bad for a school lunch. I like them, but everyone hates them. I think most people forget that it’s just a school lunch, we aren’t at a 5-star restaurant.”

Mrs. Schaeffer says, “I like the variety in the school lunch and the healthy options that are presented.”

There is a variety of lunches the school offers for students. Everyday students have the option of a chicken wrap, chicken sandwich, salads, pizza, and the daily meal that the lunch ladies provide.

“My favorite lunches are beef nachos, chicken enchilada dip, and buffalo chicken dip. My least favorite lunch is the popcorn chicken bowl,” Meckes continues.

Mrs. Schaffer states, “My favorite lunch is the grilled cheese and tomato soup; my least favorite is the BBQ rib sandwich.”

Next, dress codes have always been a subject of contention. Besides school lunches, there are also biased opinions on the student dress code. Although some are stricter than others, and some follow different guidelines, many public schools today enforce dress codes.

“I feel that the dress code is important for students to follow and provides them with fewer distractions while in school.  I think that there are still ways for students to express themselves,” Mrs. Schaeffer says.

Shane mentions, “I hate the student dress code! It doesn’t give people the opportunity to express themselves as individuals. Students are obligated to wear polos every day and to me, it isn’t fair. I understand we should represent ourselves as a school, but I feel we could do so without being conformed to khakis and polos.”

Shane adds, “One thing that I would change about the dress code would be the fact that it doesn’t allow people to be who they are in public schools. I would also love to change the fact that it creates an idea that some people are better than others.”

At Jim Thorpe, it is the recommendation of administration that all electronics are to be kept in the student’s locker.

Shane says, “I don’t agree that our phones should be kept in our lockers during school hours. There is a list of things that could go bad during a school day. In a state of emergency, students should have their phones to contact who they need to.”

“Since students have laptops, there is no reason to need to have a cell phone in class because it provides even more distractions to students,” says Mrs. Schaeffer.

Another big dispute revolves around gum chewing. Students are not permitted to chew gum in the Jim Thorpe High School building. Everyone chews gum, inside of school and outside of school. Gum chewing has been proven to help kids focus, and helps improve memory. Chewing gum may also help to relieve stress and relax.

“I don’t see the problem in gum chewing. Chewing gum helps me concentrate and helps me focus more,” Meckes states.

Mrs. Schaeffer says, “Unfortunately, students do not dispose of gum properly, and therefore the no gum rule should continue until students know how to responsibly dispose of things.

Although these topics cause concern for most of the student body, the rules and policies provide an easier and more effective way for administrators to maintain public school buildings. The student dress code eliminates the idea of students wearing ‘gang-related’ clothing, clothing that exposes underwear or indecent body parts, and establishes limits on skirt/shorts length. Also, the dress code requires students to wear school colors only, this shows school spirit and demonstrates a unified school. School lunches are inevitable in every high school. Some students may not enjoy the meals prepared at school, but they do have the option to bring their own packed lunch from home. Gum chewing and cell phone usage are topics that are more subject to change in the future.

Be the first to comment on "Jim Thorpe lunches, rules, and policies: Agree or disagree?"