Spreading school spirit

Spreading school spirit may be easy, but coming up with new ideas to get everyone pumped up for the big game is not always simple. For Anthony Getz and Jacob Shellhammer, it is. These two students have created posters for the past few months, supporting and giving inspirational sayings for the teams that have upcoming games, and hang them around the school.

“It was kind of just a thing I have wanted to do. It started out as a hobby and it eventually turned into something I never expected. I always saw that other schools had athletic accounts that kept everyone up to date on scores and season updates, but Jim Thorpe never had one, so I decided to start something new and create a new culture around Jim Thorpe,” said Anthony Getz when he was asked why he started this new trend.

But creating this idea, Anthony needed someone to help take pictures to make his graphics pop. He asked Jake to take on the photography role and he has fit the position perfectly.

Jake says, “Anthony and I work great together, and I’m so glad people recognized all of our hard work we put in to making the signs.”

Anthony is the one to make all of the sayings, effects, and everything else that goes into making the graphics. But how does he keep coming up with new ideas every week?

“I like to keep track of all of the other graphic designers and see what they are doing. I keep tabs on colleges, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. If I see anything stand out, then I will base my idea off of that and give it our own personal twist,” says Anthony Getz.

Anthony and Jake have proven to themselves and their peers that they are great at what they do. Anybody can see that they have great talent. So, Jim Thorpe is not the only lucky school to have been the only school to be able to see themselves on posters in the hallways. Anthony has also made graphics for Temple University. He helped them create graphics focused on recruiting high school students for Temple. He tries to make the graphics for Temple more personable to help students decide if they want to choose Temple to continue their education.

Anthony and Jake have shed light on the school and continue to help student athletes get pumped for their games and help give them more motivation than they might have had.

“We are both focused on working with Jim Thorpe and creating the best products possible for our teams. We are very grateful for all the positive reactions and comments we have gotten since starting this,” said Anthony Getz.

Be the first to comment on "Spreading school spirit"