Rock, paper, scissors

by Chris Williams, Reporter

The ongoing debate between “rock, paper, scissors shoot” and “rock, paper, scissors says shoot” that has haunted society for decades has recently reestablished itself in the lives of the faculty and students of Jim Thorpe Area High School.

Between many people here at Jim Thorpe Area High School, it is common belief that the difference in how the phrase is spoken is mainly based on where each student attended elementary school. If a student attended L.B. Morris, it is believed that one would say “rock, paper, scissors shoot,” and if a student attended Penn-Kidder Campus, it is thought that “says” is included in the phrase, saying “rock, paper, scissors says shoot.”

As a journalist, I wanted to hear for myself what those who work and attend school here at Jim Thorpe Area High School truly say when they play rock, paper scissors and also discover what influenced each person to say it each way.

With this being said, I set out on a quest to put this debate to rest once and for all, asking the opinions of two of Jim Thorpe Area High School’s finest teachers, two students who attended L.B. Morris, and two students who attended Penn-Kidder Campus. I would keep tally of each person’s response and in the end, I would determine, which is the most popular phrase used when playing the game

After heading over to the science wing to ask which way of playing he preferred, chemistry teacher, Mr. Pope, said, “I never play rock, paper, scissors. Growing up, there were other ways of forcing people to do things, like bullying.” He added, “It was the seventies, so it was allowed.”

Just as a disclaimer, please do not bully anyone, children. This is not the seventies.

Not exactly hearing the desired result, I moved across the school to the language hallway to ask one of Lansford’s finest residents how he goes about playing rock, paper, scissors.

Simply stated, Lansford resident and Spanish teacher, Señor Getz, stated the he plays “the classic one,” implying that he says “rock, paper, scissors shoot.” He explained his reasoning by saying, “We played this way during school in Freeland. The rhythm flows better in fours. Who counts in fives unless it’s the Mission Impossible theme song?”

Gracias Señor.

Now that the teachers had given “the classic one” a point lead, it was now time to see what the students who attended L.B. Morris and Penn-Kidder Campus had to say.

“It’s ‘rock, paper, scissors shoot,” said senior and former L.B Morris student, Cassity Dixon, giving those who do not say “says” a two point lead. “I went to L.B. Morris, and everyone from there says it that way,” she continued.

After hearing the opinion of someone who attended L.B. Morris, it was time to hear from a student that went to Penn-Kidder Campus.

“It’s definitely ‘rock, paper, scissors says shoot,” stated Day’ Janee Beckham, the former Penn-Kidder Campus student who gave those who say “says shoot” one point on the board. “I learned it from someone who says “says” when playing, whether it was a teacher or friend at Penn-Kidder or someone in my family.”

Now that I heard opinions from both sides of the argument, I moved on to another former L.B. Morris student, wondering if this student would, too, share the same opinion as their fellow former L.B. classmate.

“The only way to say it is without ‘says,’” said senior, Ethan Melber, who previously attended L.B. Morris. “That’s just how it’s supposed to be. You say ‘rock, paper, scissors shoot’ and your draw your weapon.”

With the score at three to one favoring those who say “the classic one” and do not say “says,” it was time to see whether the final past Penn-Kidder student would either side with his former Penn-Kidder classmate or turn his back and side with the others who play using “the classic one.”

“Rock, paper, scissors should be instinctual,” stated senior and past Penn-Kidder student, William Summers.  “Saying ‘shoot’ while playing is foolish and gives both players more time to think. When I went to school in Florida, we said “rock, paper, scissors shoot.” The Ivy League bound senior also added, “I still played this way even when I moved to Penn-Kidder.”

With Summers siding against what his past Penn-Kidder classmates would suggest, the final score finished four to one in favor of “rock, paper, scissors shoot,” as well as Mr. Pope voicing the argument that bullying is a better option than playing rock, paper, scissors.

Again, please do not take this advice. Bullying is wrong, people.

Although I was unable to question every teacher and student in the high school, I can conclude that many of the faculty and students at Jim Thorpe Area High School prefer to say “rock, paper, scissors shoot” when playing rock, paper, scissors. After having interviewed students who attended L.B. Morris and Penn-Kidder, I can also conclude that the phrase that is used when playing rock, paper, scissors is not necessarily based off of where each student went to elementary school, as previously believed.

With this being said, however, there is by no means a specific way to play rock, paper, scissors. Until superintendent, Mr. Gasper, puts out an all-call stating that all faculty and students in the Jim Thorpe Area School District are required to use a certain phrase, anyone may go about playing rock, paper, scissors as he or she pleases.

Happy playing.

About the Author

chriswilliams31
Chris Williams is a current senior in the class of 2018 at Jim Thorpe Area High School. Williams has been in the district since kindergarten in 2005 where he attended Penn-Kidder Campus in Albrightsville until 2014. Williams’ strength of schedule throughout high school has been extremely demanding, comprising of many weighted, honors, and AP courses. Williams is ranked ninth in his class and maintains a GPA of 103.7. His favorite subjects include Spanish, history, and English. When it comes to extracurriculars, you can find Williams in a variety of clubs and teams within the school and community. Athletically, Williams has been a four year member of the boys varsity soccer team since freshman year. This year, he is a captain for the 2017-18 season. Besides soccer, Williams plays the alto saxophone for the concert, jazz, and marching bands, is a member of the National Honor Society, scholastic scrimmage team, and ski club. Outside of school, Williams plays travel soccer for Lehigh Valley United FC and is also an Eagle Scout in Boy Scout Troop 555. Williams has an extreme passion for sports and storytelling through writing, film, and photography. After high school, Williams is will be attending Emerson College in Boston to major in Journalism. Williams will also play soccer for Emerson. Williams aspires to become a sports journalist upon completion of college. His dream job would be to write about either soccer, hockey, or college sports for a media outlet such as Bleacher Report, Copa 90, Goal.com, ESPN, Fox Sports, or CBS Sports.

Be the first to comment on "Rock, paper, scissors"