The daily duties of a custodian

by Eve Morris and Samuel Hydro

Mr. Danny “Bugsy” Herman works at the Jim Thorpe Area High School. He applied for the job and started working in 2003, as both a custodian and bus driver.

When asked what he looks forward to when going into work, Mr. Herman replied, “Getting the day done with, seeing my other co-workers, doing what I have to do, and going home.”

Although Mr. Herman makes his day seem easy and to the point, working at the high school is no easy task. His days are filled with various jobs, all of which require time and effort. At times, the days seem to extend forever.

According to Mr. Herman, “My days are endless sometimes, from bringing stuff in from trucks to taking care of the kitchen.”

Bugsy’s days seem endless and can be difficult, beginning with transporting students on his bus route, both in the morning and afternoon, to completing his custodial duties at the high school. Even though he has to do all of this, he has a great goal to look forward to within a year.

When asked about what he enjoys about his job, Bugsy’s sense of humor was seen. He jokingly said, “That hopefully in twelve months, it’s going to end, and then I intend to retire. That’s something to look forward to,” said Bugsy with a laugh.

Knowing that Bugsy plans to retire in twelve months, he was asked about his plans for post retirement. His response was rather heartwarming.

“I want to take care of my little granddaughter,” said Bugsy. He also enjoys the outdoors.

It is said that people should always pursue jobs that they are going to love and enjoy doing. After being a custodian in the high school for the past fifteen years, one would expect Bugsy to have had some pretty great moments working here.

When asked what Bugsy’s most exciting moments were working at the high school, he responded with, “Well that’s endless, you couldn’t say, there have been so many.”

Although being a custodian is demanding and time consuming, it seems as though Bugsy finds enjoyment in his everyday work.

About the Author

evemorris28
Eve Morris, 18, lives in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, and is a senior at Jim Thorpe Area Senior High School. She is a part of The Olympiad and is involved in soccer, which she enjoys to play. Eve is going to be attending Lehigh Carbon Community College. Later on, she is planning on becoming more involved in her parent’s business and eventually becoming an interior designer.

Be the first to comment on "The daily duties of a custodian"