Track & Field starting season

by Daphne Camacho, reporter

Track and Field includes an abundance of different events including running, throwing and jumping. Students from JT in the grades 7-12 are able to join.

“Track and Field is referred to as “athletics” from the Olympic standpoint. Many of our student athletes use the track and field program as a way to competitively train for other sports, in addition to competing for the team itself. There are technically no requirements, other than needing to be committed to the program and attend the daily training session once the season officially starts. Many students will get a jump on training and attend off season workouts three times a week to better prepare for the outdoor season,” Coach Miller explained.

There are different events in this sport consisting of running, throwing, and jumping.

“I run the 100 meter, 200 meter, 4by100, and 4by400, and long jump,” Jarrin Geisinger, a senior, stated.

“I participate in high jump and 110m high hurdles,” David Richards, a freshman, said.

Preparation for meets seems incredibly important, practices happen after school and there are various mental ways to help athletes do great at meets.

“Meet preparation is both physical and mental. We train after school and occasionally on Saturdays to meet the physical demands of the sport. From the mental standpoint, the coaches and athletes are always talking about nutrition, hydration, as well as rest and recovery. The physical component is taken care of by the coaches, however the mental aspect requires student discipline to set themselves up for the highest levels of success,”  Coach Miller states.

Students also prepare on their own.

“I start by warming up and just doing basic stretches, but a couple of minutes before a race I sit with my legs thirty degrees against a wall and breathe in slowly, which lets the blood run from my legs and makes me lighter on my feet. Also, throughout the day, I try to eat protein as much as possible,” Isabella Acker, a freshman said.

As of April 11th it is still the beginning of the season. So far the teams are doing well with the boys’ team being undefeated and and girls’ team is slowly rising.

“To date, the season is going well. The boys team is currently undefeated and the girls’ team is getting better as each individual is improving throughout the season,” Coach Miller said.

Each athlete, of course, has his or her own goal that he or she would love to meet.

“I would like to place in League for at least one of my events,” Richards stated.

Overall, the team and the coach have goals together for the 2019 season.

“Goals for each season are daily improvement and perform our best at the District championships in hopes of qualifying as many kids as possible for the PIAA Championships,” Coach Miller said.

About the Author

daphnecamacho
Daphne Camacho, lives in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, and is a student at Jim Thorpe Area High School. She is part of FBLA, SADD, The Olympiad, and Mock Trial. She is a dedicated activist and feminist and one day hopes to be a business women and lawyer

Be the first to comment on "Track & Field starting season"