Head cheerleading coach says goodbye to her squad

After twenty plus years of being Jim Thorpe’s Head Cheerleading Coach, Julie Romanisko has decided to retire. As the season comes to a close, the cheerleaders are looking forward to see who will be the new Head Coach and Assistant Coach.

The head cheer coach, Julie, has decided to retire for a few reasons. For one, “Coaching requires a huge time commitment that lasts year-round.” Julie has been coaching for twenty-eight years, and she feels it is time to focus more on her personal life. “It’s bittersweet leaving JTHS cheer. I am looking forward to having some free time, but I’m also going to miss so much about coaching,” Romanisko said.

Romanisko is looking forward to watching the cheer squad from the sidelines and seeing what the new coach, whomever that may be, has to offer. Romanisko said she will miss her cheerleaders and the sport itself; “Jim Thorpe Cheer Always.”

Julie has put her trust in Gavrielle Mele, Jim Thorpe Cheer Alumni and Assistant Coach, to lead the squad next season and for more years to come. Although, this decision has to be passed by the school board, and she also has to participate in an interview. Nothing is for certain yet, but as the weeks pass by, Mele is waiting to hear the school board’s decision.

“I did apply for the Head Coach position. This will be a huge change for myself. If I did get this position, I would have some pretty big shoes to fill,” said Mele.

The upcoming seniors for next season are also waiting to see which two people will be chosen to lead the two squads. As this is their last year cheering, they are reminiscing old times with Julie, but also looking forward to changes that may come as the year continues.

“I’m scared to see what is to come with a new coach, but I’m also excited to see what the new coach will change for this upcoming season,” said Christine McLaughlin, upcoming senior and three-year varsity cheerleader.

When all this is said and done, the Jim Thorpe Cheerleading Team will start their new season of cheering on the track for football. As the cheerleaders say “Goodbye” to Julie, they are also saying “Hello” to a new season with new coaches.

About the Author

Riley Gillespie
Riley Gillespie, 17, lives in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, and is a senior at Jim Thorpe Area High School. She is part of the Olympiad and is a two time captain for the Jim Thorpe cheerleading team. She is currently a varsity co-captain. Riley is going to be attending Lehigh Carbon Community College and then continue her education at ESU, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. She plans to help children in need and work in the psychology field.

Be the first to comment on "Head cheerleading coach says goodbye to her squad"